John Family Health Careers Scholarship
The John Family Health Careers Scholarship at Evangelical Community Hospital provides annual financial aid awards to tradional or non-traditional students entering college for the purpose of pursuing a career as a respiratory therapist, medical technologist, clinical laboratory scientist, cytotechnologist, or physical therapist.
Awarding of scholarships will be based first on the financial need of the applicant, and second, on their academic record. Preference will be given to a man or woman who is returning to the area after serving our country in the Armed Forces or who is a spouse or child of a veteran or active duty member of the Armed Forces.
Candidates for the John Family Health Careers Scholarship must meet the following requirements:
- All application materials submitted by April 1.
- Have a diploma or equivalent from an accredited high school in Union, Snyder, or Northumberland County, Pennsylvania.
- Demonstrate financial need based on the estimated out of pocket contribution after applying other federal, state, and private grants.
- Possess an excellent academic record, as demonstrated by high school or college transcripts, or possess an excellent service record in the armed forces provided with application for scholarship.
- Provide a copy of a letter of acceptance to an accredited secondary school for the purpose of pursuing a degree for a career as a respiratory therapist, medical technologist, clinical laboratory scientist, cytotechnologist, or physical therapist.
- Submit two letters of recommendation from the following: teachers, coaches, employers or clergy, or other professional references.
- Write an essay of not more than two pages describing your reason for pursuing a career in the healthcare field (for new applicants) or describing the biggest lessons learned during the academic year related to a career in the chosen healthcare field (for renewal applicants).
- Up to 6 awards of $5,000 will be made each year.
- No student will be eligible to receive an award for more than four years.
- Evidence of continued interest in a targeted healthcare field and satisfactory academic standing in a professional program must be demonstrated by the recipient.
- The recipient’s continued eligibility is to be reviewed annually by the Scholarship Committee.
- Recipients of the John Family Health Careers Scholarship will be encouraged to participate in activities at Evangelical Community Hospital such as the student intern program, health fairs, recruitment fairs, etc. The Hospital’s Director of Organizational Development will coordinate these activities.
How to Apply
Please complete and return an application and supporting documents listed above.
Applicants will be notified in writing of the decision of the Scholarship Committee no later than June 1 of each calendar year.
The scholarship application will contain no questions for the purpose of limiting or excluding any applicants from consideration for the scholarship because of race, color, religion, ancestry, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation or non-job related handicap or disability.
Evangelical Community Hospital reserves the right to make changes, amendments and/or modifications with regard to the operation of the Scholarship Fund. The Fund is at the sole discretion of the Hospital and is deemed necessary for the proper administration of the purposes of the Fund.