Cardiac Rehabilitation Center
When Every Beat Counts
When it comes to your heart, there's no time to waste. Choose Evangelical for fast, quality service close to home. Learn more about whether you're at risk for and the warning signs of a heart attack.
We Take Your Health to Heart
The Cardiac Rehabilitation Program at Evangelical Community Hospital has been providing education, exercise training, and psychosocial support for patients and families coping with the consequences of heart disease since 1976.
Evangelical's Cardiac Rehab provides a medically-designed program that is individualized to meet your needs and is certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation.
Who Can Benefit From Cardiac Rehabilitation?
Almost anyone with heart disease can benefit from cardiac rehabilitation. Ask your doctor to be sure. Our program may be appropriate for you if you have had:
- Heart Attack
- Valve Surgery
- Stable Angina
- Stent Implantation
- Heart Transplant
- Angioplasty - balloon procedure
- Coronary Bypass Surgery
A physician's referral is required to enroll in the program. Many health insurance programs cover cardiac rehabilitation, but check with your program representative about your individual policy. If needed, personnel in our Cashier's Office can provide details about Medicare coverage.
How Does The Program Work?
Evangelical's Cardiac Rehab program is designed especially for you and your loved ones. Our sessions enable you and your family to better understand the recovery process and take control of your life. It allows you to progress at your own pace with exercise and education.
You will be exercising along with others who have heart disease. Learning and getting support from those who also have heart problems is a major part of the recovery process.
Evangelical's Cardiac Rehab program provides:
- An individual plan developed for patient-specific needs, with one-on-one training.
- Exercise therapy sessions on stationary, tension-controlled bicycles and rowing machines, motorized treadmills, wall pulleys, recumbent stair-climbers and free weights.
- Six-to-12 week sessions (meeting three times per week) that start at low levels and gradually increase in intensity.
- Monitored cardiac rehabilitation exercise under the supervision of ACLS trained registered nurses.
- A resources library
- Nutrition counseling
- An on-going evaluation of the patient's progress and continuous communication with the patient's referring physician.
Cardiac Stress Testing
Cardiac Rehabilitation also performs the follow types of stress testing:
- Stress Testing with Echocardiograms - This test involves a resting echocardiogram and a walking treadmill stress test. An echocardiogram will be given before, during and after the stress test. Dobutamine Stress Echo Stress Test: This involves a resting echocardiogram and an IV so a medicine called Dobutamine can be administered through the IV to elevate the patient’s heart rate. This test is for patients who can’t walk or would not get a heart rate appropriate for an adequate result.
- Stress Testing with Myocardial Perfusion Imaging - with a nuclear agent can be given to obtain heart pictures. The patient will walk on the treadmill. Scans of the heart are obtained before and after the treadmill test. Dobutamine Myocardial Perfusion Imaging involves the medicine Dobutamine given through the IV to elevate the patient’s heart rate. This test is for patients who can’t walk or would not get a heart rate appropriate for an adequate test.
- Treadmill Testing - Stress on the heart is evaluated as you walk on the treadmill. This does not involve any imaging.
Reports from the stress tests are discussed with the patients at the times of the test and faxed to the referring physician the same day!
Evangelical Community Hospital has a physician present for all stress tests. RN's administering the stress tests are advanced cardiac life support trained with experience in intensive care situations.
You Have Your Whole Life Ahead of You
Thanks to research, modern technology and a dedicated staff of professionals at Evangelical's Cardiac Rehabilitation Center, most heart attack patients can return to normal lives. We give you the support and guidance you need to help prevent further heart problems and to restore a healthy heart so you can lead a full and active life. With a little effort and commitment, we can make it possible. We are always there for you if you need us.
For more information on Evangelical's Cardiac Rehabilitation program, please call (570) 522-2676.