Before Your Procedure
EASC is designed for patients requiring outpatient surgery. This information tells you about the Center and answers many of the questions you may have about your surgery. Please review this information carefully. It is important that you, your surgeon and the Center's staff work together to make your experience at EASC as pleasant as possible.
- Avoid aspirin and aspirin containing products for 10 days prior to your procedure.
- Blood thinning medication must be discontinued prior to your procedure. Please consult with your physician.
- Please do not bring children other than those scheduled for a procedure. Please make childcare arrangements prior to the day of the procedure.
Preoperative tests may be ordered. These will be performed at the Center unless other special arrangements have been made.
After your procedure is scheduled, you may be called by a member of EASC staff to schedule a preoperative visit. Some patients, depending on the type of anesthesia they will receive, their age, or other physical factors, may not be required to have a preoperative visit.
On the day of your preoperative visit, please bring the following with you:
- Consent form: you and your surgeon complete this form. Your surgeon's office will ask that you bring this with you on the day of your preoperative visit.
- Health survey: Complete the entire questionnaire. This information helps the doctors and nurses prepare to give you the best possible care. You should bring the completed survey with you on the day of your preoperative visit.
- History and Physical: Your surgeon or primary physician must complete a History and Physical form. You should bring the completed form with you on the day of your preoperative visit.
- All insurance information, including cards and forms, claims address and phone number, insurance identification and policy/group number, and name, address and phone number of employer.
- Social security number and date of birth of patient and subscriber to insurance.
- Do not eat or drink anything, including water, lozenges, or chewing gum after midnight the night before surgery.
- Pediatric patients are permitted milk/formula up to 8 hours prior to their procedure.
- Pediatric patients are permitted apple juice up to 4 hours prior to their procedure, then nothing by mouth.
- Medications: You may take some medications the morning of surgery. The preoperative interview nurse will go over the permissible medications with you during your preoperative telephone interview/visit. Any medications not discussed with the nurse that you feel you need to take, please bring to the Center on the day of the procedure.
- Do not wear make-up.
- Do not wear fingernail or toenail polish.
- Do not wear jewelry. EASC will not be responsible for jewelry or valuables.
- Do not wear contact lenses.
- Please do not use lotion, powder, or cologne the morning of the procedure. The use of deodorant or antiperspirant is acceptable unless otherwise advised by your physician.
- AVOID ASPIRIN PRODUCTS FOR 10 DAYS PRIOR TO SURGERY. YOUR SURGEON WILL INSTRUCT YOU REGARDING OTHER BLOOD THINNERS.
- On the morning of the procedure, please take a complete bath or shower.
- You cannot drive or utilize public transportation after your procedure. (A taxi service may be an exception if an adult accompanies you.) YOU MUST ARRANGE FOR TRANSPORTATION HOME PRIOR TO THE DAY OF YOUR PROCEDURE.
- Mental and physical activity should be limited until full alertness returns following your procedure. You should, therefore, make prior arrangements with a friend or family member to stay with you the night following the procedure.
- Minors must have a responsible adult at the Center during their entire stay at the Center. However, please keep visitors to a minimum of two to promote a restful recovery.
- Pediatric patients may bring a special toy, blanket, pacifier, or bottle. Two adults may accompany pediatric patients. One parent may stay with the child in the preoperative holding area.
- If a change in your physical condition develops prior to surgery, such as a cold, persistent cough, fever or other, please call your physician.
Additional Specific Information
- Colonoscopy procedures: If you are scheduled for a colonoscopy procedure, please complete the preparation as outlined by your physician. This includes the enema as indicated.
- Urology/scrotal surgery: Please bring a scrotal support for application following the procedure.
- Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy Patients (ESWL for kidney stones): Please bring all x-rays especially kidney, ureter and bladder films.
- Foot/Leg Procedures: If your physician has indicated the necessity of crutches following your procedure, please bring them with you the day of your procedure.
- Arrival time is generally to be one and one half-hours prior to the procedure. The preoperative interview nurse will tell you the time to arrive.
- EASC usual hours of operation are 6:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Please do not arrive before then, since the facility will not be open.
- Bring your current insurance cards and a photo ID to give to the Registration Representative when you arrive.
- BRING A LIST OF CURRENT MEDICATIONS.
- Our lobby stays cool. Please dress warmly and request your family members/friends to bring a sweater or a jacket.